This was a huge success this morning. We are early risers and a big 3T breakfast is a must on our outfit. You might miss lunch sometimes, especially, if your neighbor’s 10 steers decide to visit your pasture and don’t want to leave. “Hey, grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. ;)” The cows always want to prove this saying.
We have been trying to cut down on butter, sugar and rich foods and so far so good. This dutch baby recipe called for 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of sugar. I don’t think so. If I would feed this to my guys, they would load up on sugar and be hungry in a couple of hours.
So, here is our version of this recipe. I have served this dutch baby with scrambled eggs and peppers, both from our outfit.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. At the same time put in your large cast iron skillet to heat up.
- In a blender combine together: eggs, milk, zest, vanilla until smooth
- Add flour, sugar and salt, whisk again for about 30 seconds on high.
- Carefully pour oil into the hot skillet and put it in the oven for another 30 seconds.
- Take out the skillet and carefully pour the batter into it.
- Spread out blueberries.
- Bake for about 22 minutes.
- Serve right away. No need for sugar or syrup. It is delicious on its own!