Mexican cuisine is always a hit at our home, but I thought I would change up our ground beef burritos into chimichangas.
Chimichangas are basically fried burritos, but we are watching what we eat. Grassfed/grass finished beef is so good for you and you don’t want to ruin your healthy meal by frying everything. So, I decided to baked my chimichangas and it was a hit. The burritos got nice and crisp .
Here is the recipe:
- 1 lb 3T Ranch ground beef
- 1/2 onion – small dice
- 1 bell pepper – small dice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can green chili sauce or green chili enchilada sauce
- 5 flour tortillas
- Spanish rice (I have used the box, but you can certainly make it from scratch)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Canola oil in a spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped up cilantro
- Saute onions and peppers in a cast iron skillet until translucent. Set aside.
- Cook your ground beef with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix peppers and onions with the ground beef along with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray your cookie sheet with the canola oil.
- Steam your flour tortillas in the microwave. Make sure to put a wet towel over your tortillas and microwave for about a minute. This way, your tortillas will be easy to roll up.
- Divide the meat mixture onto the five tortillas. Here is a quick way to roll them up.
- Put the burritos onto the cookie sheet and spray with the canola oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and broil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Your chimichangas are nice and crisp!
- Heat up your green chili sauce or green chili enchilada sauce over your chimichangas.
- Serve with rice, avocado and salsa.